26 August 2009

F12 Alpha and demoing Live media

Next week, together with an Ubuntu guy, I am going to a national television (TVR), we will be filming some general stuff about Linux which is going to de diffused on one of its channels. From the preliminary conversation, I understand they will record in HD, directly from the computer screen, so my only laptop, a netbook, is not up to the task (the requirement is an LCD with at least 1200x960), so my best chance is to use Live media. OK, Live media is one of Fedora's strong points, apparently no problem with that.

Today I got a bit carried away and got an idea: the F12 Alpha was just released, with tons of greatness, let see how it works on my Eee, maybe I can use it for demos, a little risky (I would carry also a F11 with me), but let see what is about. Well, the result is embarrassing, take the Graphics menu as an example:

f12 alpha

This is pathetic: menu entry with one single (and weak) application (Office and Internet menus are not far from that either). Almost as little content as a default Windows install. I said it before and will say it again: our "Desktop" spin sucks for demoing the Fedora features.

Conclusion: I can't show that, it would be a disgrace. I think I have to take advantage of live persistence and put some real stuff on it. Still to decide if I'm trying to go with the Alpha (the use will be limited, not many things to break) or showing directly the latest stable (that one needs a bit of customization too, but it has at least GIMP and Pidgin).

13 comments:

  1. Why no menu icons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: not sure why, it may be a bug or the slowness of the live media (icons were removed from each application menu, AFAIK not from there)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intended change. Refer to the release notes

    ReplyDelete
  4. kinda strange wont start the live edition with vmware..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps try the KDE version. KDE released recently, so you might get a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @mether: Surely Fedora will ship with the menu icons visible.

    This is how F12 looks now: http://imgur.com/1wO0D
    There's absolutely no consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. afaik, no. You have to talk to the desktop team about it. We are inherting a upstream change however.

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2009-July/msg00065.html

    http://www.osnews.com/story/21935

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like mether said, it is GNOME decision to remove icons from the menu like Applications and Systems. It was a letdown in my point of view. KDE does better though (I am using it on my desktop, GNOME on my laptop).
    Also, what's with the lack of Gimp from LiveMedia?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Luya: GIMP was taken out due to lack of space on disk. Why precisely it? Because the spin maintainers considered the application not important enough, something I am obviously in total disagreemnet with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Nicu: I am also in disagreement with removal of Gimp. The core alone can be installed. The size of live is only 628MB which should be enough to fit extra packages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not checked, mclasen claimed it got over 700MB. maybe it was about the 64 bit version of the spin?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any ideea when he show will be on?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @tomitzel: not yet... is not even filmed. Will post a follow up.

    ReplyDelete