30 April 2014

Pop Art

Recently I took a very colorful and quite abstract picture, which I thought would make for an interesting 'pop art' effect. The process is really basic and obvious, but I decided to share it for anyone who want to learn a quickie.

pop art gimp

So, I opened the image with GIMP. Since I want the final collage as a 4x4 composition, increase the Canvas Size to 200% on both directions.

pop art gimp

Then Duplicate the image layer.

pop art gimp

Repeat the duplication until there are enough pieces to cover the image. I need 3 duplicates, for a total of 4 pieces.

pop art gimp

Select each piece and with the Alignment Tool move them to cover the image (one right, one bottom, one right and bottom).

pop art gimp

Now the aligned pieces should fill the entire image.

pop art gimp

Leave one layer as is (if you really want, you can edit it too) and for the second open the Hue-Saturation dialog.

pop art gimp

Move the Hue slider left or right until you are happy with the new color set.

pop art gimp

Repeat for the other layers until you have something like this:

pop art gimp

Export and you are done:

pop art gimp

Here's a different use case for a similar effect: I had a single background for the water drop photos, but adjusting the Hue made it appear the pictures are more different than in reality.

pop art gimp

PS: as someone told me, I should print this at some big size and try to sell my 'pop art' creation for a ginormous amount of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment